I read somewhere, this so-so fashion person who said that she buys this particular brand of jeans because they were ethically-made. She not only looked good, she apparently also slept really well at night. She probably ticks it all off- ethically grown coffee, artisanal produce with minimal carbon footprint, the occasional hashtag for currently popular causes. All sorted. Pats herself in the back for being an extraordinary human being.
But I should stop here and to remind myself that 'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'. To be honest, I wouldn't give this bitch the time of day, but it's true- judging is exhausting. It binds you in this tight, uncomfortable smugness that dampens your joy, zaps your energy. You end up doing things like yoga or adult colouring books which I suspect were invented specifically for judgy people.
It was Mother Teresa by the way who first said this and yesterday, she officially became a saint of the Catholic Church. I'm definitely not aspiring for saint-hood and on some days, I am shocked by thoughts that if the devil himself offered me fame and fortune ala the Kardashians by selling my soul, I would most likely tell him, give me 48 hours to think about it please.
But I'd certainly like to live a life as simple and true as one can possibly live it, without distracting novelties, complicated rationalisations, lofty philosophies or cruelty in any form, no matter how subtle.
Here are some quotes by Mother Teresa that I'm doing my damn best to live by:
1. “I see somebody dying, I pick him up. I find somebody hungry, I give him food. He can love and be loved. I don’t look at his color, I don’t look at his religion. I don’t look at anything. Every person whether he is Hindu, Muslim or Buddhist, he is my brother, my sister".
2. “Do ordinary things with extraordinary love".
3. “Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do, but how much love we put in the action that we do,”.
4. “Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love,”.
5. “We fear the future because we are wasting the today,”.
6. “The future is so much in the hands of God, I find it much more easy to accept today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow has not come and I have only today,”.
7. "Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies".